The regional Archaeological Museum in Plovdiv was established in 1882. Its collections are stored in the center of Plovdiv, and the completely renovated building was opened in October 2010.
There are over 100,000 exhibits stored in the Archaeological Museum. Finds of the period from the pre-history to the Middle ages are presented in its seven halls. The oldest exhibits are pottery from the Neolithic, Heliolithic and Bronze Age, jewelry and amulets, tools of stone and bronze.
There is a rich collection of the ancient Greek art, dating back to the 5th – 4th century BC – silver vessels, golden female jewelry for body and clothing. The vessels were discovered in the burial mounds near the villages of Duvanliy and Chernozem. The medical instruments from various burials in Philipopolis (the ancient name of the city) are among the interesting exhibits of the museum; many antique sculptures, votive tablets, etc. are also exhibited.
There are tools, jewelry, glass bracelets and necklaces from the 11th – 13th century, luxurious ceramics, stone sculptures, etc. from the Middle ages. A rich collection of church plate, old books and other items dates back to the Renaissance (18th– 19th century). The history of the museum is shown in documents and pictures in a special hall.
About 60,000 coins, dating back to the period from the 6th century BC to the 20th century are kept in the numismatic museum fund.
Informational materials, books and souvenirs are sold in the Archaeological Museum.
1, ploshtad "Saedinenie", Plovdiv, Plovdiv, 4000, Bulgaria.